Friday, December 30, 2011

Heart-Language

This past week I had the great privilege of hosting my oldest brother and sister-in-law for 10 wonderful days here in Thailand. We had many adventures together, both large and small, and it was very exciting for me to be their tour guide. Since they knew no Thai whatsoever, I also got to be the translator, which was both fun and nerve-racking at points when I just wasn't sure how to communicate. It is amazing though to see how using the heart-language of a people blesses them. Chiang Mai has a large tourist population, so a lot of local Thais are accustomed to farangs speaking no Thai at all. When I speak to them in Thai, however, something in their countenance immediately changes. They realize that I am not a tourist--and I'm not just any other farang who lives in Thailand but never learns the language. I care enough about them that I will study so I can communicate in the language of their heart.

When my family and I joined with other farangs on some of the more touristy adventures I was the only Thai-speaking farang in the group. I thus became a quick friend to our guides. It is a simple thing, but it is so meaningful. There are a lot of missionaries that have been in Thailand for years and barely speak any Thai... they just haven't given the time and effort to it. I don't mean to judge them at all, but you can't do true ministry without learning the heart language of the people you are ministering to. I still have light years to go in my personal study, but it is encouraging for me to see the smile in the eyes of a Thai person when I converse with them.

That being said..... I better go study!

1 comment:

  1. SO true jules! I notice the same thing when i ask Japanese men and women about their language and speak the few words i know to them. YOU my dear are an inspiration to me. I might just learn Japanese after all -- it took a trip to the land of smiles to show me that. I love you. Thank you for being God's girl. your h

    ReplyDelete