Thursday, August 16, 2012

Things I Won't See

 In four months from tomorrow I will be flying out of the Land of Smiles... and probably not smiling. It is strange to think that one can live so much life in such a short amount of time (16 months total by the time I leave), and then just disappear... never knowing if a return is part of the Lord's plan for the future.

 I genuinely love my life in Chiang Mai, though at times during this internship I have encountered some of the most challenging circumstances of my life. The heights and the depths. It's all beautiful.

 I've decided to tell you a few of the things that will be strange for me to not see once I leave the country. Reverse culture shock will be quite the adventure I'm sure. Here are things that I will miss seeing once I'm back in the states:

-orange-clad monks everywhere
-four people riding on motorbikes
-every single student in uniforms--from pre-school through 4th year of university
-signs in Thai
-adorrrrable little Thai children
-street vendors
-pick-up trucks full of people
-at least three 7-11s on every street
-motorbikes ruling the road
-green Thai mountains
-squatty potties... (yes, I like them...)
-this is obvious, but... Thai people in general. I just LOVE Thai people!
-elaborate Buddhist temples
-hole-in-the-wall restaurants
-night markets

I could probably list forever... But then I wouldn't get any sleep. =) Let's just say that I'll miss this place...



No comments:

Post a Comment