Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Running the Mountain

Several weeks ago, I decided to make for myself a goal that would be by no means easily attained. For a few years now I have been running on a consistent basis, and I enjoy running especially when I have a goal in mind. My goal this time around: run up Doi Suthep--one of Chiang Mai's tallest mountains at 5,499 feet. I have never run on inclines, save for the sparse hills in Florida and Minnesota both, so this is a new adventure for sure. I have been training for a few weeks now and have seen definite improvement in my performance, but it is a hard goal to press forward in. I enjoy (okay, I'll be honest--when my alarm goes off at 6am for my mountain runs, I cringe knowing what is to come) my times on the mountain, but the after affects are painful (talk about being sore!). I know this goal won't be attained anytime too soon, but I am looking forward to the day when I can look out over Chiang Mai from the top of the mountain, knowing that my own two feet carried me there.

I feel like in my spiritual life lately I have been running up a mountain as well. I give time and energy to my walk with the Lord and only very slowly do I see changes in my behavior and responses. I have a goal, and that is Christ. I am perseverant; I refuse to give up before the goal is attained no matter what the cost and no matter how long it takes. I want to be conformed to the image of Christ, and if it means running up a mountain, so be it. I will run.


"For I live only to see Your face, so shine on me"

1 comment:

  1. Yes! you go girl! I know when you get to the top you will be so amazed and NEVER forget all those days of running. The time you have with the Lord is simply unforgettable. I can't wait to run with you!

    ReplyDelete