Monday, May 21, 2012

That Old Familiar Feeling

 I hadn't felt it for awhile, but there it is again--that old familiar feeling of stress and frustration that one experiences after teaching a group of students that just aren't comprehending the lesson. Tutoring students one-on-one is one experience, while teaching in a classroom setting with goals and deadlines is a whole different thing. It's been three years since I taught in a classroom, but as soon as I got that stressful sensation today it took me right back to Spanish I and II as a 19-year-old and 40-some high schoolers. At least in that situation we had a common language... now I'm trying to teach my language while not truly speaking theirs! Imagine trying to explain English grammar in Thai! Stress and frustration for both teacher and students, yet somehow I must carry on. I got used to that feeling of exhaustion after a full day of teaching before, and now I must accustom myself to it once again. I also remember the rewarding feeling of teaching as well, and I'm hoping that comes too, with time....

1 comment:

  1. I love you and am praying for you sweet lady.

    ReplyDelete